1 cup each dried pinto beans and dried kidney beans, sorted of debris and rinsed, and soaked separately for two nights in 3 cups water each
1 oz each dry guajillo chile and dry ancho chile, stemmed and seeded, and soaked separately overnight in 1 1/2 cups hot water each
1 tbsp 90/10 canola and olive oil blend
3 ½ cups cups diced yellow onion
1 ½ cups cups diced carrot
2 cups diced bell pepper
3 oz jalapeño chile, seeded and diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp chili powder
½ tsp cayenne
½ tbsp cumin
1 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp tomato paste
½ can crushed tomatoes
4 ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 oz canned chipotle chiles in adobo
1 ½ tbsp tbsp. brown sugar
1 cup fresh corn kernels
3 tbsp finely chopped dark chocolate (80% cacao)
Sour cream, sliced green onion, pepitas, parmesan crisps, for garnish (optional)
Brown butter maple corn bread:
11 tbsp unsalted butter
½ cup maple syrup
2 ½ cups buttermilk
1 ½ cups cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1. Drain and rinse beans; set aside. Drain chiles and reserve 1/2 cup of each soaking liquid; set aside.
2. Heat a large pot over medium-low heat. Add oil, then onion, carrot, bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Stir frequently on medium-low heat until liquid is released and vegetables start to stew down.
3. Add the paprikas, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, black pepper, onion powder, tomato paste, beans, and tomatoes and stir to incorporate.
4. In a medium bowl, use an immersion blender to purée the chiles, the reserved chile soaking liquids, 1 1/2 tbsp. vinegar, the chipotle in adobo, brown sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and 3 tbsp. water. Add mixture to pot, bring to a simmer, and simmer lightly for 1 1/2 hours.
5. Add corn and 1/3 cup water to pot, bring back to a simmer, and let simmer lightly for 1 hour.
6. Remove pot from heat. Stir in the chocolate, 1/2 tsp. salt, and the remaining 3 tbsp. vinegar. Serve warm, topped with garnishes, if using.
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Cut butter into cubes, then brown the butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Swirl butter all over the sides and corners of pan. Pour butter into a large bowl. Place the skillet in the oven to heat before baking.
2. Whisk syrup into the brown butter. Whisk buttermilk into the mixture (which should be cool to the touch at this point). Whisk in eggs until smooth.
3. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Whisk into wet ingredients until just incorporated.
4. Remove skillet from oven. Pour batter into skillet and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
Pair with our 2021 Stagecoach Road Pinot Noir »