3 cups water
1 ⅓ cups polenta
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tbsp butter
¼ cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
Sausage & Peppers
4 links Italian or hot Italian sausage
2 red bell peppers, cut lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 red Fresno pepper, thinly sliced into rings (optional)
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, rinsed and stems removed, or 1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp dried basil or
¼ cup fresh basil
¼ tsp red chile flake
¼ cup dry white wine or crisp and clean craft beer
2 tbsp olive oil kosher salt and black pepper
1. In a medium saucepan bring the water to a boil.
2. Slowly pour in the polenta while stirring with a whisk. Continue to stir constantly for one minute.
3. Turn the heat down to low, cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid.
4. Stir every five minutes for 40 minutes. Be careful not to let polenta stick to the bottom of pan. If sticking occurs stir constantly or turn heat lower.
5. Season with kosher salt and finish by stirring in butter and parmesan.
6. Apply butter to one side the bread and place face down on the grilling surface until crispy and lightly golden-brown.
7. Light a grill and bring to medium heat.
8. In a medium sauté pan over medium heat add the olive oil and once heated add the onions. Stir to coat with oil and cook 2-3 minutes.
9. Add the red pepper and Fresno pepper (if using) and cook 2-3 minutes.
10. Turn heat to low and allow peppers and onions to soften, about 7-10 minutes.
11. Bring the heat back up to medium and add the white wine or craft beer.
12. Reduce by half of the liquid, about one minute.
13. Add the cherry tomatoes, garlic, thyme, basil, and chile flake.
14. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
15. Use a fork or spoon to pop the cherry tomatoes that have not popped on their own.
16. Grill the sausages until cooked through, about 5-6 minutes per side.
Pair with our 2018 Pinotage »