With fava beans, pea shoots, and dandelion greens, this lovely green salad pairs beautifull with our 2020 Mother of Pearl Chardonnay. Place the bottle in the fridge for about two hours, then enjoy!
Recipe by Michelle McKenzie via Sunset Magazine
10 ounces (2 cups) shelled fresh peas (from about 1 lb. pods)* or frozen peas, thawed
12 ounces ricotta, preferably sheep’s milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup Preserved Lemon
Herb Oil (recipe at right) or best quality extra-virgin olive oil
4 ounces (about 4 cups) mixed spring greens
1 ounce (about 2 cups) of at least 3 mixed fresh herb leaves
About 1/2 ounce (1 bunch) chives, trimmed and snipped into 1⁄2-in. pieces
Flaky sea salt
Edible flowers, such as Johnny jump-up violas, sage, thyme, or arugula (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt until it tastes like the sea. Set a large bowl of ice water near the stove.
2. If using fresh peas, boil until bright green and tender, 30 seconds to 1 minute. With a slotted spoon, transfer to ice bath to cool. Drain well, spread on a kitchen towel, and pat dry. If using thawed frozen peas, dry them the same way, uncooked.
3. To 4 to 6 large shallow bowls, add a large spoonful of ricotta on one side.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, a pinch of fine sea salt, a few grinds of pepper, and 1/4 cup preserved lemon herb oil. Add peas, greens, herb leaves, chives, and another pinch of fine salt. Gently toss with clean hands. Season with more lemon juice, oil, or salt, depending on the greens used.
5. Mound salad next to cheese. Drizzle a spoonful of extra preserved lemon herb oil around each salad so that it forms a shallow, bright green pool. Top salads with flaky sea salt and a few edible flowers, if using. Serve at once.
The 2020 Mother of Pearl Chardonnay highlights the lemon and ricotta flavors excpetionally well, while dancing with the sweet greens and herbs that make this salad so refreshing.